Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 156

Thread: This is not to start a debate...

  1. #51
    Inactive Member jb_617's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2004
    Posts
    769
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I knew this would happen. I knew it!

    Ok, here we go. Hold tight kids.

    --Your paraphrasing my dear boy, i do believe he also said "then read lots of books, watch how other films are made. look at what they do with highly paid people, expensive equipment, and attempt the same!" Which the following Is good advice, in regards to writing course on my own personaly experience i was down the pub for GCSE English, but in terms of writing courses especially for film there are great technical requirements also required as well as the creative side , and courses are very good for learning about this. --

    But Mishkin was being sarcastic. So by that argument, you agree with me when I say I disagree with him. However, since I agreed with his sarcasm, I can't work out where we all stand now. For simplicities sake, let's just say I was right.

    -- I will agree you there, except for the fact it doesnt have to be expensive. Tis is the art of blaggin that can step in here, and the ability to improvise and adapt. All depends on whether you want to be taken seriously --

    Totally! That's what I was saying. We agree. Again.

    -- Keyword there is professional, if you want to be a proffesional then act line one whether you are doing a shoot with a few mates or a big 100 crew job. On a note, recent test shoot i done for HenryV and deadlights was more of a lads weekend's and whilt it was a lot of fun , have utlimatly paid the price in teh quality of footage that we got in the end. Paper, paper , paper Already for Henry V I have if you were to put it on A4 roughly about 150 pages of stuff, and have yet to even write past the first three pages of screenplay --

    Yep. See above. We're in agreement.

    --So you are not in total disagreement after all --

    No, I'm not. I reserve the right to arbitrarily change my position, contradict myself, and make no sense whatsoever. (Sometimes I can do all of this in the same sentence!)

    -- Second that on the cinematographer, though its not just a case of saying "Im going for this look" it s lots of meetings before hand and test shoots with your DOP before hand --

    True dat. I was being brief.

    -- Disagree, it puts you in good steed for the future, you want to play with the big boys then learn to ride a bike without stabilisers --

    True. But not if you have no future due to your resistance to doing anything the right way.

    -- just to add a footnore, paperwork, kit is all there for a reasons, apparently some chaps in hollywood swear by it and they seem to be making films --

    Very good point.

    So, what did we learn today? For me, this whole thing is funny. I've seen about a million (I may be exagerating here) people who start out with the attitude:

    "Fuck Hollywood! Fuck the Suits! We'll do it our own way. Yeah. We're the next big thing! Indies, all the way! We'll start our own system!"

    And then when they start making films they realise that EVERYTHING is geared up against them. Rental houses will only work a certain way, money comes with certain conditions, the unions WILL go nuts at you ( especially in the U.S. ) etc., etc. Pretty soon, if they stick with it, they become everything they were railing against. This is not a bad thing mind you. It's just the way it's always been, probably always will be. It's a cute learning curve if you survive it.

    I'm bracing myself for the:

    "But xxx is independant and they're a big success!!!"

    To which I reply:

    "Yeah? And? So? What?"

    You wanna be indie, be indie. You wanna be "Industry" (whatever the hell that means) then be industry. Just stop flinging mud at eachother 'cos us peoples in the middle are getting filthy.


    ----------------------

    It didn't have to be this way.

  2. #52
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm just picking fights to be honest.

  3. #53
    Inactive Member jb_617's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2004
    Posts
    769
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah. I know. I just love ranting. It's all in good fun!


    ----------------------

    I just noticed that I've been name-checked in at least 4 posts on this board. YEAH! MY EXISTENCE HAS BEEN VALIDATED BY THE INTERNET!!! I am so happy.

  4. #54
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    whats this all about www.lg-logix.co.kr/jb_617.html

  5. #55
    Inactive Member emjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2002
    Posts
    747
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Going off topic here, but does anyone know the price of a couple of gobos, c-stands and 'gobos with an arm'?

  6. #56
    Inactive Member twister!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2001
    Posts
    1,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I read an interesting thing today which went along the lines of:

    The proficient hack with all the 'Gucci gear' seizes too soon on an idea - he then rushes off to use this gear. But he expertly renders immature and superficial ideas.

    The inspired amateur has a brilliant concept that dies through technical incompetence.

  7. #57
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Peter G, its more my mission to pick fights with JB for the sake of it...,

  8. #58
    Inactive Member jb_617's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2004
    Posts
    769
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Chance has always done that, ever since I spurned his amourous advances a few years ago. Sorry man!

    -- I guess the takehome message here is this. There are valid reasons as to why all the Gucci kit exists. Example: Need to break up that big blank wall behind your actor but aren't allowed to paint it? Use a gobo or some scrim. If you don't have it then sure, make some, or don't bother with it. If you want to spend the money and do it, that's cool too.

    What? --

    I guess what I was saying there, Peter, is that some kit was invented to fulfill a purpose. But, if you don't have it or have access to it, it shouldn't prevent you from making your film.


    -----------------------

    I hope that clears everything up.

  9. #59
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Chance has always done that, ever since I spurned his amourous advances a few years ago. Sorry man!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you were confusing the sentences

    "Jb, I need that right now "

    with

    "Jb, I need you right now "

  10. #60
    Inactive Member jb_617's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2004
    Posts
    769
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know what I heard.


    -----------------------

    C'mon, admit it. There's no shame; you want me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •